Definition of "fail" [fail]
- (verb-intransitive) To prove deficient or lacking; perform ineffectively or inadequately: failed to fulfill their promises; failed in their attempt to reach the summit.
- (verb-intransitive) To be unsuccessful: an experiment that failed.
- (verb-intransitive) To receive an academic grade below the acceptable minimum.
- (verb-intransitive) To prove insufficient in quantity or duration; give out: The water supply failed during the drought.
- (verb-intransitive) To decline, as in strength or effectiveness: The light began to fail.
Use "fail" in a sentence
- "'You can't fail,' she said, '_I won't let you fail_!'"
- "[Illustration: "And he," she said, "has still a chance if -- I fail you?"] "Of course -- if you _fail_ me.""
- "We shall not fail -- if we stand firm, we _shall not fail_."