- To inspire with hope, courage, or confidence; hearten. (verb-transitive)
- To give support to; foster: policies designed to encourage private investment. (verb-transitive)
- To stimulate; spur: burning the field to encourage new plant growth. (verb-transitive)
- To inspire (someone) with the courage or confidence (to do something) (verb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- To stimulate (something or someone to do something) by approval or help; support (verb)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016