- Coming into view, existence, or notice: emergent spring shoots; an emergent political leader. (adjective)
- Emerging: emergent nations. (adjective)
- Rising above a surrounding medium, especially a fluid. (adjective)
- Arising or occurring unexpectedly: money laid aside for emergent contingencies. (adjective)
- Demanding prompt action; urgent. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.