- An implement with cutting edges or a pointed end for boring holes in hard materials, usually by a rotating abrasion or repeated blows; a bit. (noun)
- The hand-operated or hand-powered holder for this implement. (noun)
- A loud, harsh noise made by or as if by a powered tool of this kind. (noun)
- Disciplined, repetitious exercise as a means of teaching and perfecting a skill or procedure. (noun)
- A task or exercise for teaching a skill or procedure by repetition: conducted an air-raid drill; a drill for learning the multiplication tables. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.