- An open, generally shallow concave container for holding, cooking, or serving food. (noun)
- The containers and often the utensils used when eating: took out the dishes and silverware; washed the dishes. (noun)
- A shallow concave container used for purposes other than eating: an evaporating dish. (noun)
- The amount that a dish can hold. (noun)
- The food served or contained in a dish: a dish of ice cream. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.