- To keep from proceeding; delay or retard. (verb-transitive)
- To keep in custody or temporary confinement: The police detained several suspects for questioning. The disruptive students were detained after school until their parents had been notified. (verb-transitive)
- Obsolete To retain or withhold (payment or property, for example). (verb-transitive)
- To delay; hold back; stop (verb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- To confine or hold in custody; restrain (verb)
- To retain or withhold (verb)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016