- Intended or appropriate for defending; protective. (adjective)
- Intended to withstand or deter aggression or attack: a defensive weapons system; defensive behavior. (adjective)
- Of or relating to the effort to prevent an opponent from gaining points in a game or athletic contest. (adjective)
- Performed so as to avoid risk, danger, or legal liability: defensive driving; defensive medicine, (adjective)
- Of or relating to defense. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.