- In opposition or disagreement; against: debated the issue pro and con. (adverb)
- An argument or opinion against something. (noun)
- One who holds an opposing opinion or view. (noun)
- To study, peruse, or examine carefully. (verb-transitive)
- To learn or commit to memory. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.