- To make up the constituent parts of; constitute or form: an exhibit composed of French paintings; the many ethnic groups that compose our nation. See Usage Note at comprise. (verb-transitive)
- To make or create by putting together parts or elements. (verb-transitive)
- To create or produce (a literary or musical piece). (verb-transitive)
- To make (oneself) calm or tranquil: Compose yourself and deal with the problems logically. (verb-transitive)
- To settle or adjust; reconcile: They managed to compose their differences. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.