- A chosen pursuit; a profession or occupation. (noun)
- The general course or progression of one's working life or one's professional achievements: an officer with a distinguished career; a teacher in the midst of a long career. (noun)
- A path or course, as of the sun through the heavens. (noun)
- Speed: "My hasting days fly on with full career” ( John Milton). (noun)
- Doing what one does as a permanent occupation or lifework: career diplomats; a career criminal. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.