- A tramp; a vagrant. (noun)
- A lazy or shiftless person, especially one who seeks to live solely by the support of others. (noun)
- An incompetent, insignificant, or obnoxious person: The batter called the pitcher a bum. (noun)
- One who is devoted to a particular activity or milieu: a beach bum. (noun)
- To live by begging and scavenging from place to place. Often used with around. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.