- A large sideboard with drawers and cupboards. (noun)
- A counter or table from which meals or refreshments are served. (noun)
- A restaurant having such a counter. (noun)
- A meal at which guests serve themselves from various dishes displayed on a table or sideboard. (noun)
- Informally served: a buffet luncheon. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.