- Water saturated with or containing large amounts of a salt, especially sodium chloride. (noun)
- The water of a sea or an ocean. (noun)
- A large body of salt water. (noun)
- Salt water used for preserving and pickling foods. (noun)
- To immerse, preserve, or pickle in salt water. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.