- The act or process of assimilating. (noun)
- The state of being assimilated. (noun)
- Physiology The conversion of nutriments into living tissue; constructive metabolism. (noun)
- Linguistics The process by which a sound is modified so that it becomes similar or identical to an adjacent or nearby sound. For example, the prefix in- becomes im- in impossible by assimilation to the labial p of possible. (noun)
- The process whereby a minority group gradually adopts the customs and attitudes of the prevailing culture. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.