- To stop; check: a brake that automatically arrests motion; arrested the growth of the tumor. (verb-transitive)
- To seize and hold under the authority of law. (verb-transitive)
- To capture and hold briefly (the attention, for example); engage. (verb-transitive)
- To undergo cardiac arrest: The patient arrested en route to the hospital. (verb-intransitive)
- The act of detaining in legal custody: the arrest of a criminal suspect. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.