- Games The stake that each poker player must put into the pool before receiving a hand or before receiving new cards. See Synonyms at bet. (noun)
- A price to be paid, especially as one's share; cost: "Whether they could actually turn back Soviet policy depended on many factors that Moscow might yet choose to test by upping the ante” ( Foreign Affairs). (noun)
- Games To put (one's stake) into the pool in poker. (verb-transitive)
- To pay: Let's ante up the bill. (verb-transitive)
- Games To put one's stake into the pool in poker: Don't look at your cards until everyone has anted. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.