- One more; an additional: had another cup of coffee. (adjective)
- Distinctly different from the first: took another route to town. (adjective)
- Some other: put it off to another day. (adjective)
- An additional one: one encore followed by another. (pronoun)
- A different one: This shirt is too big; I'll try another. (pronoun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.