- To change or make different; modify: altered my will. (verb-transitive)
- To adjust (a garment) for a better fit. (verb-transitive)
- To castrate or spay (an animal, such as a cat or a dog). (verb-transitive)
- To change or become different. (verb-intransitive)
- To make or become different in some respect; change (verb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016