- Approximately; nearly: The interview lasted about an hour. (adverb)
- Almost: The job is about done. (adverb)
- To a reversed position or direction: Turn about and walk away slowly. (adverb)
- In no particular direction: wandering about with no place to go. (adverb)
- All around; on every side: Let's look about for help. (adverb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.