- To destroy or kill with a burst of gunfire, flame, or electric current. (verb-transitive)
- To kill or destroy as if by shooting. (verb-transitive)
- To strike suddenly and forcefully as if with a projectile or weapon: "His . . . narrative runs marvelously on and on, zapping the reader with often surprising and . . . painful glimpses” ( Publishers Weekly). (verb-transitive)
- To expose to radiation; irradiate: "perfect for those who can't bring themselves to zap food in a microwave” ( John F. Mariani). (verb-transitive)
- To attack (an enemy) with heavy firepower; strafe or bombard. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.