Definition of "zaatar" [zaatar]
- (noun) A particular herb, similar in flavor to thyme or oregano, used in Arab and Israeli cuisine, made from various Middle Eastern herbs.
- (noun) A Middle Eastern seasoning, having the herb as the main ingredient, with sumac (or other tart-flavored equivalent) and sesame seeds.
Use "zaatar" in a sentence
- "The green-brown powder made from salt, sumac, sesame seeds, and the dried leaves of various herbs known as zaatar and other ingredients depending on region."
- "Certainly, I remember that he and I would gleefully refer to "that bread" in conversations on the way home (we didn't know it was called zaatar manouche until years later)."
- "Roasted red pepper, olive, zaatar and fresh basil (recommended: hummus on whole wheat everything)"