Definition of "y-axis" [y-axis]
- (noun) The vertical axis of a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.
- (noun) One of three axes in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.
- (noun) a reference axis, usually vertical, of a graph or two- or three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system along which the y-coordinate is measured
Use "y-axis" in a sentence
- "Here we go … the x-axis is the independent variable (price of chicken) … the y-axis is the dependent variable (squirrel population)."
- "The key to understanding this one is knowing that her dependent variable is on the y-axis, so Insecurity is being predicted by the independent variable on the x-axis, Products."
- "That missing ‘l’ made me misread the y-axis label as something related to atheism."