Definition of "xanthophyll" [xan•tho•phyll]
- (noun) A yellow carotenoid pigment, C40H56O2, found with chlorophyll in green plants and identical with lutein.
- (noun) Any of various related yellow pigments.
Use "xanthophyll" in a sentence
- "Seasonal changes in chlorophyll fluorescence quenching and the induction and capacity of the photoprotective xanthophyll cycle in Lobaria pulmonaria."
- "The traditional air-aging of flour had a visible side effect: the yellowish flour becomes progressively paler as the xanthophyll pigments are oxidized to a colorless form."
- "The color of durum wheat, its coarse semolina flour, and dry pasta is due mainly to the carotenoid xanthophyll lutein, which can be oxidized to a colorless form by enzymes in the grain and oxygen."