- Total absence of matter; emptiness. (noun)
- An empty space; a vacuum. (noun)
- Total lack of ideas; emptiness of mind. (noun)
- Absence of meaningful occupation; idleness: "the crew, being patient people, much given to slumber and vacuity” ( Washington Irving). (noun)
- The quality or fact of being devoid of something specified: a vacuity of taste; a vacuity of emotions. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.