Definition of "sabbatical" [sabbatical]
- (adjective) Relating to a sabbatical year.
- (adjective) Relating or appropriate to the Sabbath as the day of rest.
- (noun) A sabbatical year.
- (adjective) of, relating to, or appropriate to the Sabbath as a day of rest and religious observance
Use "sabbatical" in a sentence
- "James Mortimer: I think the term sabbatical has to be taken with a grain of salt."
- "When people hear the word "sabbatical," they invariably think, "Sounds great—but there's no way I can do that.""
- "The Republican announced today he will pass on a presidential campaign, because he wants to take what he calls a sabbatical from public life."