Definition of "qawwali" [qawwali]
- (noun) A style of Muslim devotional music, especially among the Sufis, accompanied by drums and harmonium.
- (noun) A song in this style.
- (noun) an Islamic religious song, esp in Asia
Use "qawwali" in a sentence
- "Also in qawwali, there is no distinction between what is known as the chest voice and the neck voice (the different areas that sound will resonate in depending on the frequency sung)."
- "The singing style of qawwali is different from Western singing styles in many ways."
- "There, at sundown, a men's choir sings praise songs known as qawwali."