- (noun) Plural form of pace.
- (verb) Third-person singular simple present indicative form of pace.
- (noun) a single step in walking
- (noun) the distance covered by a step
- (noun) a measure of length equal to the average length of a stride, approximately 3 feet
- (noun) speed of movement, esp of walking or running
- (noun) rate or style of proceeding at some activity
- (noun) manner or action of stepping, walking, etc; gait
- (noun) any of the manners in which a horse or other quadruped walks or runs, the three principal paces being the walk, trot, and canter (or gallop)
- (noun) a manner of moving, natural to the camel and sometimes developed in the horse, in which the two legs on the same side of the body are moved and put down at the same time
- (noun) a step or small raised platform
- (verb) to set or determine the pace for, as in a race
- (verb) to walk with regular slow or fast paces, as in boredom, agitation, etc
- (verb) to measure by paces
- (verb) to walk with slow regular strides
- (verb) (of a horse) to move at the pace (the specially developed gait)
"Instinctive shooting. arrowed him at 12 paces from a ground blind on the edge of a soybean field."
"A bright blue plastic "honey bucket" for human waste stands a few paces from the front door."
"All were lying face down a dozen paces from the water where black scorpions and the tarantulas of the desert crawled across their corpses."
SUBSCRIBE TO WORD OF THE DAY