Definition of "n-type" [n-type]
- (adjective) (Of a semiconductor) in which conduction is due to the movement of electrons rather than positive holes.
- (adjective) (of a semiconductor) having more conduction electrons than mobile holes
- (adjective) associated with or resulting from the movement of electrons in a semiconductor
Use "n-type" in a sentence
- "The junctions in a transistor are between bits of silicon doped to conduct electrons known as n-type material, because electrons are negatively charged, and p-type areas doped to conduct positively charged holes in the crystal lattice, which are places where electrons should be, but aren't."
- "An electrical wire located on the far end of the n-type layer gathers the suffocating electrons and shepherds them back across."
- "The silicon-phosphorous layer is known as the negative, or n-type layer, because it has lots of spare electrons."