Definition of "labium" [‖La•bi•um]
- (noun) Anatomy Any of four folds of tissue of the female external genitalia.
- (noun) Zoology A liplike structure, such as that forming the floor of the mouth of certain invertebrates, especially insects.
- (noun) Zoology The inner margin of the opening of a gastropod shell.
- (noun) Botany One of the liplike divisions of a labiate corolla.
Use "labium" in a sentence
- "At the tip of the labium are the labellæ, two little lobes which serve to guide the piercing organs."
- "The labium, which is the largest and most conspicuous, is apparently cylindrical but is grooved above throughout its length."
- "The labium was the equivalent of the hyoid, the labial palps and maxillipedes the equivalent of the "hyoid" elements which form the branchial arches."