Definition of "labiodental" [la•bi•o•den•tal]
- (adjective) Articulated with the lower lip and upper teeth, as the sounds (f) and (v).
- (noun) A labiodental sound.
Use "labiodental" in a sentence
- "By that time, Olson apparently was still convinced that this phoneme wasn't a labio-dental flap: The bilabial flap is a sound very similar to what is elsewhere called the labiodental flap, but the articulation is slightly different."
- "Now, this is a matter of detail perhaps but worth noting since p has occasionally eroded to f in Etruscan, particularly next to tautosyllabic u, and this sort of lenition can only rationally happen with a bilabial phoneme, not a labiodental one."
- "An alternation between a bilabial and labiodental sound is comparatively less economic."