Definition of "labial" [la•bi•al]
- (adjective) Of or relating to the lips or labia.
- (adjective) Linguistics Articulated mainly by closing or partly closing the lips, as the sounds (b), (m), or (w).
- (noun) Linguistics A labial consonant.
- (noun) Music See flue1.
- (adjective) of, relating to, or near lips or labia
- (adjective) producing sounds by the action of an air stream over a narrow liplike fissure, as in a flue pipe of an organ
- (adjective) relating to a speech sound whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips
- (noun) an organ pipe with a liplike fissure
- (noun) a speech sound such as English p or m, whose articulation involves movement or use of the lips
Use "labial" in a sentence
- "Mexico. 11 The language of Nootka is by no means harsh or disagreeable; for it abounds, upon the whole, rather with what may be called labial and dental, than with guttural sounds."
- "El is the article; but when it precedes a word beginning with a letter called a labial, it takes the sound of that letter."
- "Of the two cusps the labial is the larger and more prominent."