Definition of "labeling" [labeling]
- (noun) A set of labels applied to the various objects in a system.
- (noun) The introduction of a traceable chemical group (e.g., containing an isotope or a fluorescent dye) into a protein or other biomolecule of interest so it can be tracked or quantified during experimental analysis.
- (verb) Present participle of label.
- (noun) a piece of paper, card, or other material attached to an object to identify it or give instructions or details concerning its ownership, use, nature, destination, etc; tag
- (noun) a brief descriptive phrase or term given to a person, group, school of thought, etc
- (noun) a word or phrase heading a piece of text to indicate or summarize its contents
- (noun) a trademark or company or brand name on certain goods, esp, formerly, on gramophone records
- (noun) a charge consisting of a horizontal line across the chief of a shield with three or more pendants: the charge of an eldest son
- (noun) a group of characters, such as a number or a word, appended to a particular statement in a program to allow its unique identification
- (noun) a radioactive element used in a compound to trace the mechanism of a chemical reaction
- (verb) to fasten a label to
- (verb) to mark with a label
- (verb) to describe or classify in a word or phrase
- (verb) to make (one or more atoms in a compound) radioactive, for use in determining the mechanism of a reaction
Use "labeling" in a sentence
- "But this labeling is actually consistent with the definition, only now the political affiliation has switched."
- "If our labeling is actually helping us get closer to the truth, then we should pursue it full-steam."
- "Front-of-package nutrition labeling is one of the hottest topics in food marketing today."