Definition of "kachina" [kachina]
- (noun) Any of numerous deified ancestral spirits of the Pueblo peoples, believed to reside in the pueblo for part of each year.
- (noun) A masked dancer believed to embody a particular spirit during a religious ceremony.
- (noun) A carved doll in the costume of a particular spirit, usually presented as a gift to a child.
Use "kachina" in a sentence
- "The word kachina is a little confusing since it refers to the dolls, which have no power."
- "Phoenix's character chooses to live life in the Nevada desert as a hermit making Navajo kachina dolls that he believes have magical powers (a kachina is a spirit in western Pueblo cosmology and religious practices)."
- ""ka", part of the word kachina, the Hopi spirits, of which Masau'u was one."