- (adjective) Consisting of iambs or characterized by their predominance: iambic pentameter.
- (noun) A verse, stanza, or poem written in iambs. Often used in the plural.
- (adjective) of, relating to, consisting of, or using an iamb or iambs
- (adjective) (in Greek literature) denoting a type of satirical verse written in iambs
- (noun) a metrical foot, line, or stanza of verse consisting of iambs
- (noun) a type of ancient Greek satirical verse written in iambs
"In this poem the feet are iambic and there are four of them, consequently we name the meter of this poem _iambic tetrameter_."
""The twilight hours like birds flew by," is made up of four iambic feet, and is therefore an _iambic tetrameter_."
"But I hope it shows that what we call iambic pentameter is really, if you count the rest the way you must count it, a kind of slow waltz rhythm."
SUBSCRIBE TO WORD OF THE DAY