Definition of "habanera" [habanera]
- (noun) A slow Cuban dance.
- (noun) The music for this dance, in duple time.
- (noun) a slow Cuban dance in duple time
- (noun) a piece of music composed for or in the rhythm of this dance
Use "habanera" in a sentence
- "Featuring classical music, Cuban habanera dance music, pop, jazz and tango."
- "Scott Joplin and W.C. Handy, among other composers of early jazz, worked with a new sort of syncopation that drew, somewhat, on the rhythm of the habanera, a Cuban dance music that became fashionable enough in 19th-century Europe that it provided the lilting bass line for the famous aria in Bizet 's Carmen."
- "The most fertile Cuban musical form turned out to be the habanera, a lilting dance form that evolved out of the old French Contre-danse in the years following the Haitian revolution."