Definition of "gabion" [ga•bi•on]
- (noun) A cylindrical wicker basket filled with earth and stones, formerly used in building fortifications.
- (noun) A hollow metal cylinder used especially in constructing dams and foundations.
Use "gabion" in a sentence
- "A form of earth reinforcement could be undertaken using a material such as gabion mesh laid into the slope at intervals as it is backfilled."
- "Mr. Heselden protected his invention with international patents; his U.S. patent, granted in 2008, calls it a gabion."
- "Students may also caution that Hesco has yet to face hard times: wars and floods have ensured demand for its moneymaker, the gabion that Heselden invented with his British Coal redundancy."