- Given to lavish or imprudent expenditure: extravagant members of the imperial court. (adjective)
- Exceeding reasonable bounds: extravagant demands. See Synonyms at excessive. (adjective)
- Extremely abundant; profuse: extravagant vegetation. (adjective)
- Unreasonably high; exorbitant: extravagant fees. (adjective)
- Archaic Straying beyond limits or bounds; wandering. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.