Definition of "babbling" [babbling]
- (noun) a stage in child language acquisition, during which an infant appears to be experimenting with uttering sounds of language, but not yet producing any recognizable words
- (noun) sounds produced by infant during the babbling period
- (verb) Present participle of babble.
- (verb) to utter (words, sounds, etc) in an incoherent or indistinct jumble
- (verb) to talk foolishly, incessantly, or irrelevantly
- (verb) to disclose (secrets, confidences, etc) carelessly or impulsively
- (verb) (of streams, birds, etc) to make a low murmuring or bubbling sound
- (noun) incoherent or foolish speech; chatter
- (noun) a murmuring or bubbling sound
Use "babbling" in a sentence
- "Your daft babbling is just what is needed to keep things from being, you know, interesting."
- "NOW is the time for the current administration to continue to step up to the plate and lead America in the direction of greatness again and forget about all the babbling from the kids and move forward with the important issues at hand."
- "I stared passively out the window and impatiently endured the babbling from the nurse."