Definition of "babassu" [babassu]
- (noun) A Brazilian feather-leaved palm (Orbignya barbosiana) having hard-shelled fruits whose seeds yield an edible vegetable oil.
- (noun) a Brazilian palm tree, Orbignya martiana (or O. speciosa), having hard edible nuts that yield an oil used in making soap, margarine, etc
Use "babassu" in a sentence
- "Virgin Atlantic in 2008 became the first airline to fly with biofuel—in that instance derived from coconut and babassu palm oil that was used in a 20% mix in one of the Boeing 747's four fuel tanks."
- "People and the Palm Forest: Biology and utilization of babassu palms in Maranhão, Brazil."
- "Other airlines have already tested algae and oil from the jatropha plant and the babassu nut."