Definition of "abaft" [a•baft]
- (adverb) Toward the stern.
- (preposition) Toward the stern from.
- (adjective) closer to the stern than to another place on a vessel
- (preposition) behind; aft of
Use "abaft" in a sentence
- "The bunk next on the port side to the cook's and abaft of it"
- "The next one abaft of his own he named "Killeny Boy's," and called on"
- "Her interior was wholly rebuilt, so that the hold became main-cabin and staterooms, while abaft amidships were installed engines, a dynamo, an ice machine, storage batteries, and, far in the stern, gasoline tanks."